Monday, December 3, 2012

The Walking Dead -3×8- Made to Suffer






As much as I'm enthralled by The Walking Dead this season, I have to call out the show for replacing one black guy with another again. It's bad enough that it suggests that they're afraid, for some reason, to have more than one, but it also suggests an imagined interchangeability that is really problematic. I hope Tyreese gets a lot more respect from the writers.


I was someone who was calling for Carl's death last season, but this season I'm a huge fan. His courage and resourcefulness and adaptability speak to my Stephen King-conditioned child hero-loving core. Instead of being creepy, the ease with which he does what's necessary plays, for me, like it should: part tragic, part admirable. I really loved him playing leader this week and saving Tyreese's group, while also being careful and smart about protecting his own people. He ditches the hat and he could become one of my favorites.


Loved Glenn repurposing the zombie's bones as a weapon. Badass.

I know they wouldn't kill off Daryl, but I was still panicking during that final scene. I am pleased to have him and Merle reunited, though, and although they did miss an opportunity by giving Merle a reason to turn on the Governor right away, I am kind of happy that they'll have to work together immediately, and that Rick and Co., in going back for Daryl, will have to decide what to do about Merle.

Instead of being annoyed at Andrea for saving the Governor and not being too bothered by the wall o'heads, I'm actually going to consider it an interesting development. This whole time I've been assuming that she's just being dumb, but maybe she'll actually go all-in for the Governor, and be an adversary to the group. I think how shocked she was at the end might make that unlikely, but it'll certainly be a more interesting use of her than one that requires my continued sympathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails