Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Gossip Girl -5×21- Despicable B





Wow, Lily has gone full-on villain! It's okay with me, though, since she does it so deliciously, and since Carol in my opinion is such a raging bitca. It helps that William and others are pushing back at her.

Poor Chuck! I already feel so yanked around as a viewer, he's handling his musical chairs parentage remarkably well. I am a little disappointed that Elizabeth Hurley isn't his mom, though. Something about her sleazy Britishness made sense as a part of Chuck's DNA.

I feel like the show has been paralleling Rufus/Lily and Dan/Blair, but the Jack/Elizabeth/Bart Bermuda triangle is also similar to Lily/William/Carol, I think. Maybe that's unintentional, though.

How much do I love Detective Archibald who is willing to use his body to get to the truth? He's a regular Encyclopedia Brown, our Nate. A good friend and hilarious seducer of cougars.

Leighton Meester is so talented and charismatic that I love Blair even when she is being cartoonishly ridiculous about status and the NY Mag approval matrix (hilarious, by the way. This show is more realistic than Girls when it comes to New York City obsessions). And again, to me this episode juxtaposed what is wrong with Rufus/Lily and what works about Dan/Blair. It's interesting because the structure of the couples is the same (Upper East Side female, Brooklyn male), yet Rufus and Blair were the ones with the inferiority complexes in this episode. And whereas Villain!Lily (I'll use that since I don't the character has always been quite so deliciously one-dimensionally heartless) simply stepped on Rufus and emphasized their fiscal differences, Dan told Blair that he sees them as equals. The staging of that scene was interesting, on a staircase with Dan looking UP at Blair. I found that very meaningful and encouraging, as I did their last scene, where Blair told Dan she wanted to reassert her individuality. I thought Dan said just the right things to her, and to me it felt like a direct address from the writers to us about getting Blair back to her best self (and reassuring me that Dan was healthy for her).

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails