Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Vampire Diaries -3×15- All My Children





Wow...this episode flew by.

I really loved it. Rebekah was awesome, Elijah was great...I even loved Kol and Klaus bonding over beer. I'd been kind of "meh" on the whole Original Family ("meh" as in I was tired of them taking over my show and, except for Elijah, wanted them all to go away...) but that power shot as they faced off against Esther? Hells yeah. I'm on board, show. You got me.

I'm a sucker for a well shot powershot.

However...wow, was I surprised at just how ineffectual Stefan was in this whole episode. I mean...he literally did...like, nothing. He got thrown into a wall, moped about being on animal blood...kinda threatened Bonnie...but otherwise...he was basically there so that Damon wasn't talking to himself.

Damon came up with 2 viable plans and granted, the first one didn't work in that it got thwarted, but he got the job done the whole episode. He made all the tough decisions, especially in the end with turning Abby. With his suspicions that Stefan was starting to be even more Emo!Stefan than he was in S1, he couldn't leave their only chance at saving Elena rest on Stefan's shoulders.

As usual...Damon gets stuck doing the heavy lifting and Stefan gets all the glory. He broke my heart with his "I'm much better at being the bad guy." I think we can term, with this latest act, him as at least, a "self-sacrificing anti-hero"...b/c...Damn.

I'm not thrilled with Elena's behavior for the past few episodes, but I don't see how Abby turning is her fault. Ayana is the one who dragged the Bennetts into the Originals mess. Esther would have tracked them down regardless of Elena or the Salvatores; her life was just made everything easier because Bonnie was already in the Originals' vicinity. It's not Elena's fault that Ayana helped Esther set the original curse. It's not Elena's fault that Damon and Stefan will kill for her. It's not even her fault that Bonnie keeps saying yes when all common sense would have had her severing this friendship the moment Grams collapsed. I can't blame Elena for people loving her, because they've all chosen to love her and do these things for her. My first instinct is to blame the writing, but I can only work with what they've given us...and perhaps suggest changing the show to "Everyone Loves Elena." And what I've taken away is that these people really do choose to sacrifice themselves for Elena. They choose to love her, knowing that bad things follow her (and them) wherever they go. A core theme of this show is free will, and the characters, inane and frustrating as it can be, use their free will to service Elena's needs. Which is also why I loved Rebekah's and Caroline's speeches so much; sometimes the hard truth is the best.

I feel bad for Bonnie and her mom. Once again, saving Elena harms Bonnie and her family and it sucks. I would probably just leave town and never return at that point, if I was Bonnie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails