Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Vampire Diaries 3-10: "The New Deal" 2012.01.05





I've started three posts now about this show and deleted them because I don't even know where to begin. I loved the episode, top to bottom.

Elena's paranoia was well done and I'm glad they showed some real human fall-out from their exchange with Klaus in Homecoming. It totally makes sense that she'd be scared that he'll show up anywhere at any time so I'm glad that was addressed.

I'm kind of okay with Damon compelling Jeremy and them writing him out like that because Jeremy wanted to leave but Elena knew he'd never go without her. She cares enough about him to give him a chance at the normal life he asked for. We all know the compulsion will wear off or Jeremy will figure out why he left or they'll be some plot-twist that brings him back to Mystic Falls, so he can go learn to be a vampire killing badass in Colorado and show up to save the day and then be all "your technique is rusty" to Damon just like Bill Forbes was.

With Alaric and the ring, maybe it only half worked because it was only a half-supernatural death??? (I'm reaching, I know.) The car was obviously not a supernatural object but the hybrid driving the car was somewhat acting under his own agency due to his siring and not because he'd been compelled to run Jeremy over. Eh. I don't know.

I think the sealed coffin contains the Original Witch, which may just be the ultimate weapon to kill Klaus. I think that's why Bonnie saw Klaus in the coffin with the Original Witch's necklace.

Stefan and Damon's exchange outside the house is what I love about those two. They're fighting each other and still managing to have a serious conversation and the actors just make that dynamic work so well. I loved that whole part with them.

The kiss at the end was a great moment, I thought. I like Elena with Damon for reasons I won't get into because I know it's off topic, but that worked for me. I liked the "if I'm going to feel guilty, it's going to be for this" line. And I don't think Damon will tell her about his plan to work with Stefan because that's not Damon's style. It'd be very much a Stefan thing to do and while I do think the writers are trying to show that there are multiple sides to both Stefan and Damon, I don't think they're trying to have the two completely switch places. Damon not telling her will be a nuance to his character and a way he'll be different from Stefan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails