Thursday, December 8, 2011

American Horror Story -1×10- Smoldering Children





Wow I've believed it wholeheartedly for weeks now, but I still felt a crawling sense of dread in the pit of my stomach when Violet was trying to escape the house and kept running in a circle. I could imagine her dizzying confusion and terror and it was terrible. I had originally wished that the writers played it closer to the vest so it would have been a real shock when it was revealed, instead of just a confirmation of something so many people so strongly suspected, but now I am admirable that they managed such a downright disturbing scene even with a reveal that was so foreshadowed. I don't think I've been that uncomfortable yet during this series.

And her poor, pitiful corpse in the crawl space. Awful. I wish she was going to the Lemon Preparatory Academy.

A round of applause for the awesomeness of Jessica Lange. Man, did she sell the shit out of that episode. I want to hate her so desperately, but just can't. There's something slightly redeeming in her lack of vulnerability. God knows she is an evil woman, but there's something there, something more than Jessica Lange's excellent acting abilities.

Loved seeing Charles S. Dutton.

I felt both pity and revulsion looking at Larry's wife and children. I was repulsed by his wife. I mean, she killed her own children and then told Larry it was his fault.

Speaking of Larry, I'm going to miss him. There was something not quite right about his farewell scene with Constance. He had no reason at all to think she would give him what he wanted; instead, I think he must have something up his sleeve. If not, then I'm not really satisfied with the way the character was written out. His conversion to penitence seems a bit too abrupt.

Tate is even worse than Constance if that's possible. Maybe if Beau told him that Larry killed him I could see him losing it but even then I just feel like setting him on fire like that was all kinds of wrong. A normal person does not enjoy doing and watching something like that IMO.

The cocaine reveal was interesting but being coked out obviously doesn't give a person a pass for murdering and torturing a bunch of people. I would much rather have seen him be possessed in some way rather than as a disgruntled druggie who has been saddled with a stepfather he doesn't care for. It can suck to deal with a parent's significant other if you don't get on well with them (speaking from experience) but that's still not reason enough to be as evil as we've seen him be. His treatment of Ben, Viv, the exterminator, and everyone apart from Violet is disgusting so while I'm interested in seeing where things go I can't say that I really love Tate. It's weird because I was able to tell myself during the school shooting stuff that it wasn't really him that he wasn't in his right mind, he might be possessed by the house, etc. This episode though...it's going to be super hard for me to not see him as little more than a monster.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails