Sunday, October 23, 2011

Once Upon A Time 1x1 Pilot





I thought the pilot was pretty strong (as pilots go). Certainly it has me wanting to tune in for more. The writing shows signs of being really smart, which is always a huge plus in my book.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the Magic Forest scenes were more interesting than the Storybrooke plot, though I wouldn't say the modern-day scenes were at all bad. Just slower. I got a kick out of Emma's increasingly weirded-out reaction to everything odd in the town, JG played it just right. The only eyeroll-worthy thing was Emma's night in jail. That was just dumb. I did like the shared lines between the worlds--Jimminy Cricket's like about not giving in to one's bad side and Henry/Snow's lines about wanting their babies to have the best chance possible are the two that come to mind--as they were both clever and effective at tying the worlds together.

While acknowledging that I really want more of the fairytale world, I do wonder how long the show can keep the flashback structure going (if it does indeed extend beyond the pilot). More than about a season and it's going to feel way too contrived. I don't know if they have a definitive four-year plan or whatever, but I think everyone in the real world is going to have to wake up absolutely no later than the end of S2.

I give Josh Dallas and Ginnifer Goodwin huge props as Prince Charming and Snow White--you really felt their emotions all the way through, all the love and hope and anguish. Their performances really carried the episode, so I hope John Doe wakes up from his coma soon!

Why won't Henry just give Emma some information (ie her being on the side of the road) that he couldn't possibly know before she says it to him? That might go some way toward making her a believer.

The sheriff is totally going to end up being Emma's love interest. And probably the wolf.

Definitely intrigued by Rumplestiltskin and his angle on everything. He doesn't seem to be in cahoots with the Evil Queen, just out for his own gain. He'll make a nice wild card.

Already looking forward to the awkward Snow-Charming-Emma-Henry family dynamic when all is revealed! Also, that is some good casting--GG, JG, and the kid who plays Henry absolutely look like they could all be related.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails