Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Vampire Diaries Season 3 Ep 1 The Birthday







First, I just have to say I am so so so glad this show is BACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul Wesley is scary good as an unhinged Stefan and I admit I was a little teary eyed when he was listening to Elena tell him she loved him. I never thought much of Wesley as an actor but he nailed being both cold and desperately lonely. Damn him for killing Andie like that though.

Caroline/Tyler...be still my heart. I loved how he had her number all episode long. He's grown so much since season one: patient and kind, but very clear in his feelings and motivations. When did Tyler become the best communicator on the show?
So Klaus is looking to make more of himself? Interesting, at the end of last season when he had bitten Katherine and gave her his blood to cure her, my first thought was that she was going to be like him. But then I quickly dismissed that idea, particularly since Damon was cured by his blood also.

I never entertained the idea he could only turn werewolves. But it makes sense, because I guess for one thing, in the Vampire Diaries universe, you can't become a werewolf from a scratch or bite, its genetic. (Which I guess holds true for the True Blood universe and possibly Twilight? I don't know anything about that series. Which I kinda find interesting, that current vamp/were fiction has one unable to "catch" lycanthropy, whereas 10 years ago on things like Buffy and Underworld, you could. But I digress.) Also, I guess since vamps are undead, they wouldn't be able to be turned anyways, whereas werewolves, still being living creatures, could.

Poor Alaric. He's been spiraling all summer it seems like and I think right now he thinks that he's a bad influence. Hopefully he'll come around because those kids need him. But he and Elena need to stop having inappropriate chemistry (am I the only one?)

Loved Damon's confrontation with Elena. She's a tried and true teenager without a lick of foresight or understanding of consequences, and she needed to hear what he had to say. I especially liked his last line, that Real!Stefan might come back but not in her life time. What a crushing, but necessary blow, but does open up a new obstacle in her love for Stefan. How long can she really wait for him as is? Will she turn in hopes he might come back somewhere down the line? I wouldn't mind revisiting her feelings on turning. It was one of the best written plots last season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails