Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Nine Lives Of Chloe King Season 1x 2 : Redemption






I must be getting to  old for this shit! I mean, Chole spent the whole episode trying to make up for Xavier's death, which seems to have affected her a lot, but then she continues to go out with Brian, and let his lips get pretty close to hers at the cafe before she suddenly remembers that, hey, the last guy I kissed, he's in a coffin. They really must be pushing the "love at first site", "love that can endure anything" (even no sex) bullshit that seems to only hold water with naive teens. I can only guess that they are trying to hold on to the relationship so when Chloe figures out that she didn't actually kill Xavier (or whatever plot device they're going to use to make her and Brian able to get together), they'll still be dating/in each others' sphere of reference, so they can live happily ever after. What I feared has come true - what could be a cool show about a girl discovering her powers and how to deal with them has been overshadowed by the stupidity of the forbidden romance (with a guy who is too old for her and really isn't all that appealing).

Rant aside, I thought this episode was ok in other areas. Chloe and Alek were the only compelling characters for me. I don't find Amy and Paul to be annoying - they're kind of funny for me and a good support for her, but not the only support she needs, like Amy suggesting she and Brian could just be friends. Same with the mom - she obviously doesn't know the whole picture, and her advice would have been good but for the fact it was all wrong. I just don't get why Chloe is so weak.

I would like to see a little more mentoring from Alek instead of him just following her around and threatening her friends - although I thought those scenes made Alek more interesting. I did feel like there was some tension between him and Amy, but at least he knows better! Alek should be helping her realize the extent of her powers (by talking to her, not just rooftop escapades), helping her through the emotional upheaval, and should have been a little harsher when suggesting to Chloe that Brian might get hurt - in fact he might get dead! Just a little instruction in a good thing. And where is all the snark/flirting he had towards Chloe in the first episode? Did he abandon all that because she's the uniter?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails