Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Glee Season 2 Ep 20 : Prom Queen





This was...weird. I felt like they tried to stuff too much into it - but they kind of had to since they've been building into it a lot. But it felt like too much. If anything this should've been the 90 minute episode rather than Born This Way.

I thought overall it had a mix of both things I like and things I hate about Glee. First off, nothing really noteworthy happened until 40 minutes in - until then it seemed like a lot of fluff (although I liked the "budget prom" thing - nice little touch...and I guess Jessie was 'noteworthy'). The Kurt prom queen stuff was at first handled very well and was a nice look into his character but the Dancing Queen ending was all kinds of embarrassing, I mean really? I'm also just not really buying the Karofsky/Kurt sudden friendship. It's just too schmaltzy for me. Also, Blaine pours his heart out to Kurt about how he was bullied at a school dance and then the same thing happened to Kurt and he says "oh it's just a joke?". Didn't like that, either.

I don't feel like the Quinn/Rachel/Finn plot ever really got off the ground and the conclusion felt rushed. Kicking Finn and Jesse out of prom seemed pointless especially since it wasn't even brought up after it happened. I don't think they needed that, really. I guess it heightened the Rachel/Quinn tension...but all in all that whole plot was pretty unsatisfactory anyway.

The Santana stuff was maybe the best of the episode. If any character has actually been developed well this year, it's her. This episode continued that - all of her scenes were well done, and we seem to be moving closer to her completely coming into her own as a character and adjusting into her true self and that's been interesting to watch.

Didn't see any point in Artie's plot at all and the lemonade ending was lame and weird. And it featured more of unfunny Season 2 Sue. They need to do something about her already.

I think my favorite parts of this episode were the quick little glimpses at the kids bonding ("Budget Prom", Kurt testing out the prom dresses). The rest seemed forced and cliche but it had its moments. As a whole, it was mostly enjoyable to watch as a stand alone episode. But as a conclusion to the tension that has been building up to this episode - it wasn't all that satisfying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails