Monday, May 24, 2010

Lost : The End My Thoughts








I had to think this finale over a bit, especially the ending. But after headbutting my desk for a while, reviewing some scenes and key lines, I couldn't be more satisfied.

I'm so happy that everything that happened on the Island was real. Lapidis, Miles, Richard, Kate, Claire and Sawyer made it safely away. Hurley, Ben and Desmond survived on the island and lived out their lives. And Jack, sadly, died after saving them all. The impact of these events, or anything that's happened, aren't lessened.

I'm not disappointed by the reveal that the sideways flashes have been of a type of purgatory at all. And when I look back on this season, it makes so much sense now. It's like a self imposed exile they've constructed because they're not ready to move on from the people they knew; or a type of penance or making up for the things they never did when they lived. Jack constructed himself a family he attended to when in his living life he was so caught up in work he turned his own wife away. Sawyer was a cop to balance out the crimes he commited. It's why Ben wouldn't go into the church with the rest of them, it's why Eloise Hawkings didn't want Desmond to take Daniel: they all had to make peace for things they couldn't when alive, and waited for each other until they were ready.

I really couldn't ask for more than this finale; it's more than I could have hoped, that's for sure. What a well crafted, touching, fitting ending to the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails